Taubman College

The College / History

1876

Courses in architecture are offered at the University of Michigan by William Le Baron Jenney.

1906

Architecture is recognized as a formal course of study when a program is established in the Department of Engineering with Emil Lorch as chair.

1913

The University of Michigan grants the program departmental status and full control of its curriculum.

1923

Eliel Saarinen begins teaching architecture courses at UM.

1931

The College of Architecture is established as a separate entity with 370 students and 27 faculty members.

1939

The college's name is changed to the College of Architecture and Design. The program in architecture is expanded to a five-year curriculum. Landscape architecture is added to the college's curriculum.

1946

A graduate program in urban planning, which awarded a master of city planning degree, is introduced, one of the first in the country.

1948

The Architecture Research Laboratory is created, taking a pioneering step in integrating design, construction, technology, planning and research. This is renamed in 1974 to the Architecture and Planning Research Laboratory.

1954

The Arts and Architecture departments are separated due to growth in interest in both areas. The college continues to house both departments.

1967

The five-year architecture program is modified to a twoandtwoandtwo year program.

1968

The department of urban planning is created within the College of Architecture and Design. A university-wide Ph.D. program in urban and regional planning is established in the office of the vice president for academic affairs with faculty from 12 schools and colleges.

1969

Michigan is the first American school to offer a doctorate of architecture degree.

1974

The College of Architecture and Design is reorganized to create the College of Architecture and Urban Planning and the School of Art & Design. The new Art and Architecture Building, housing both entities, opens for classes on UM's North Campus.

1982

The Ph.D. program in urban, technological, and environmental planning (UTEP) is created. The program is moved from Rackham Graduate School to the College of Architecture and Urban Planning in 1989.

1992

The two individual programs in urban planning and UTEP are merged to form the urban and regional planning program (URP), now under a single chair with a coordinator of doctoral studies.

1999

A. Alfred Taubman donates $30 million to the College of Architecture and Urban Planning, one of the largest gifts in the history of the University of Michigan and the largest ever to a school of architecture. The college is renamed to A. Alfred Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning.

2001

The Master of Urban Design program was created.

2005

The Graduate Certificate in Real Estate Development was introduced.

2008

Monica Ponce de Leon was named first female Dean of University of Michigan Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning in 2008. Dean Ponce de Leon is the Eliel Saarinen Collegiate Professor of Architecture and Urban Planning.


Since the mid-20th century, the college has been headed by Deans Philip N. Yountz (1957–1964), Reginald F. Malcolmson (1964–1974), Robert C. Metcalf (1974–1986), Robert M. Beckley (1987–1997), James C. Snyder (interim 1997–1998), Douglas S. Kelbaugh (1998–2008), and Monica Ponce de Leon was appointed in 2008.