Our 2014 fall event schedule is highlighted by our 2014 Distinguished Alumnus Lecture given by Tom Tjaarda, B.Arch.'58, on Friday, September 26, 2014. Over the weekend, we will honor Tom's contributions to design during a public lecture and an exhibition. The exhibition, Tom Tjaarda: A Life in Design, explores the depth and breadth of his design activities and will be on display at our Liberty Gallery, September 5 – September 28, 2014. The University Milestone Reunion Weekend will take place October 31 – November 1, 2014. On Friday afternoon there will be a Reunion Luncheon at the college followed by a tour of the modernist style home of Professor Emeritus and former Dean, Robert Metcalf. Saturday features a Go Blue Tailgate and the Homecoming football game against Indiana. Of course, you are always welcome to attend any number of lectures and exhibitions happening this fall. Whether it is the Research on the City exhibition, or the Emergent Project Student Grant exhibition, there is no shortage of activity to see the great work our faculty and students are producing. We hope to see you soon!
2014 DISTINGUISHED ALUMNUS: TOM TJAARDA, B.ARCH.'58
Tom Tjaarda, B.Arch.'58, is a legendary automotive and industrial designer and is this year's Distinguished Alumnus. A lecture and retrospective exhibition will celebrate Tom's work and bring visibility to one of our most creative alums. After enrolling in the University of Michigan to study architecture, he designed a sports station wagon model for his class thesis in 1958. Subsequently, a professor recommended him to Luigi Segre of Ghia Design. Tjaarda spent the next fifty-six years living and working in Italy and has been responsible for some of the most innovative and exciting automobile designs in the world. Well-known and highly-respected in European design circles, Tjaarda has always put his emphasis on designing cars that are fun to drive but also available to the everyday driver.
The exhibition will be divided into several sections that will feature aspects of his work and life. One section will explore the legacy of his father, Dutch-born designer John Tjaarda, who was responsible for the streamlined look of the 1936 Lincoln Zephyr. Other aspects of the exhibition will incorporate photographs, sketches, and scale line drawings of Tom Tjaarda's automotive and industrial design projects, which extend from visionary sports car designs to monorails to typewriters. The show will include a 1:4 scale model of a "super sports car" design, as well as a 1971 Pantera — his signature design — lent by a local car enthusiast.
- Exhibition: Tom Tjaarda: A Life in Design, September 5 – September 28, Liberty Gallery
- Reception: September 25 at 6:00 pm, Liberty Gallery
- Distinguished Alumnus Lecture: September 26 at 6:00 pm, Chesebrough Auditorium, Chrysler Center
REUNION WEEKEND: OCTOBER 29 – NOVEMBER 2, 2014
Friday, October 31, 2014
- 11:00 am – Tour of Taubman College: Before lunch, tour Taubman College facilities and laboratories with an introduction to our robots and 3-D technology.
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm – Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning Reunion Lunch: Join fellow Taubman College alumni and guests at this luncheon to reconnect with classmates, learn about current programs, and compare stories with students about the similarities and differences since your enrollment at Michigan.
- 1:00 pm – Robert Metcalf Home Tour: Visit the iconic home of Professor and Dean Emeritus Robert Metcalf. Built in 1952, the home represents Metcalf's mid-century modern architectural vocabulary that results in functional, minimalist spaces for living.
Saturday, November 1, 2014
Football Game Day: Michigan vs. Indiana
You have two options for game day:
- If you are member of one of the Milestone Reunion Classes ('04, '94, '84, '74, '64), there are packages available through the Alumni Association, limit of four tickets per reunion registration. Pick up your tickets at the Go Blue Tailgate. Transportation is available for limited-mobility only, and you must register in advance. See transportation for details. $115 per ticket/tailgate package. Go to www.leadersandbest.umich.edu/reunions to order or contact email@example.com or call 866.998.6150.
- A ticket-only option is available through Taubman College. Indiana tickets are $75 each, plus a $10 service charge per order. Limit six tickets. The deadline to purchase is Friday, October 3rd:
- Go to www.mgoblue.com/tickets
- Click on Promotion Codes (blue bar at top of the page)
- Enter promo code TAUBMANHOMECOMING