Early Action Application Deadline: November 1
Regular Decision Application Deadline: February 1
Enrollment Deposit and Intent to Enroll Deadline: May 1
Preferred Admission students are U of M freshmen and sophomores who have been admitted to another U of M school/college (the College of LS&A, and/or the Stamps School of Art & Design) and have been guaranteed a place in the Bachelor of Science in Architecture program as a junior. Preferred Admission students have access to many of Taubman’s resources, including Taubman advisors, Taubman spring travel courses, and our extensive lecture and event series.
Pathways to Preferred Admission Status
There are two pathways to becoming a Taubman College “Preferred Admit”:
- Students who apply to the College of LS&A, the Stamps School of Art & Design can select “Taubman College of Architecture + Urban Planning” in the “Preferred Admission” section of the Common App to be considered for Preferred Admission. Students are considered for Preferred Admission status after they have been admitted to one of the schools/colleges listed above.
- Students who apply dual degree and are not admitted to Taubman College as a freshman but are admitted to the College of LS&A, the Stamps School of Art & Design, and/or the College of Engineering, may be offered Preferred Admission status to Taubman College.
Preferred Admission Requirements
Students admitted to the Preferred Admission program will be able to automatically transfer to Taubman College provided they complete a minimum of 55 credits during their first two years at U-M, including all of the following prerequisite courses, and maintain above a 3.0 GPA.
- 1 First Year Writing course (3-4 credits)
- 1 Calculus course; Math 115 (4 credits)
- 2 Physics courses (lecture and lab) (8 credits) or Physics for Architects (5 credits)
- 3 Introductory Architecture Studio Drawing courses; Arch 201, 202, 218 (13 credits)
- 1 Digital Media Arts course; Arch 211 (3 credits)
- 1 Natural Science course** (3 credits)
- 2 Humanities courses (6 credits)
- 2 Social Science courses (6 credits)
*Students are highly encouraged to take 2 architectural history courses during sophomore, but these courses are not required prerequisites for Preferred Admission students.
**Chemistry must be selected for natural science if a student has not completed high school chemistry.
Preferred Admits work with a Taubman College Admissions Advisor and the Prerequisite Courses Worksheet (PDF) to ensure they are completing these requirements in order to successfully transfer. Students can email email@example.com to set up an appointment with an advisor at any time.
Transferring to Taubman As A Preferred Admission Student
During winter term of their sophomore year, Preferred Admission students will complete a Cross Campus Transfer Application if they are still interested in transferring. Enrollment in the Bachelor of Science in Architecture program will be finalized after the pre-requisites and 3.0 minimum GPA in architecture-specific coursework requirements are verified at the end of winter term.
Contact Admissions at TaubmanCollegeAdmissions@umich.edu or 734-764-1649.