Specialization: Building Technology
Advisor: Mojtaba Navvab
Dissertation Committee: Mojtaba Navvab, Peter von Buelow, Sile O’Modhrain, John Granzow.
Research interests: Aural Architecture, Architectural Acoustics, Psychoacoustics, Soundscape.
Alaa Algargoosh has always been fascinated by sound and its relation to shapes. As an architect, she had a special interest in the influence of the architectural design on sound, and this was the driving force behind wanting to study architectural acoustics. Her previous work includes designing innovative sound diffusers inspired by the cymatics phenomenon in which she explored some of the physical aspects of room acoustics. However, the physical measurements do not precisely reflect the human acoustical experience. Therefore, her study extends to include the perceptual and cultural aspects of acoustics, providing a more integrated approach to understanding the aural experience. The physical aspect concentrates on analyzing sound propagation in space whereas the perceptual aspect centered on the psychological and physiological effects of sound and its relation to human cognition. The cultural aspect focuses on studying the role of the cultural background in sound perception and the role of social activities in shaping the soundscape of specific places. Hence, her research aims at providing a new comprehensive method of analyzing the aural architecture of buildings by linking qualitative and quantitative methods, studying the ways in which they interact, and how they relate to the architectural design.
- Algargoosh, A. (2017). Creating a Psychologically Supportive Environment Through Aural Architecture. 24th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV24). London.
- Algargoosh, A. (2016). Review of Aspects That Shape the Aural Experience in Worship Spaces. The 22st International Congress on Acoustics (ICA 2016). Buenos Aires.
- Alghamdi, S. A., Algargoosh, A. & Alshaibani, K. (2015). Energy Conservation by Retrofitting: An Overview of Office Buildings in Saudi Arabia. International Conference on IT, Architecture and Mechanical Engineering (ICITAME'2015). Dubai.
- Algargoosh, A., Hossam, E. H. & El Wakeel, H. (2013). Improving the Indoor Sound Quality by Using Cymatic Shapes. The 21st International Congress on Acoustics (ICA 2013). Montréal.
- Algargoosh, A. (2011). Memory of the Senses and Architectural Ethics. Albenaa Magazine, 50–54.
- Algargoosh, A. (2011). Increasing the Effectiveness of the Architectural Design Process by Simulation. The Second Scientific Conference for Graduate Students. Jeddah.
- Algargoosh, A., Hossam E. H. & El Wakeel, H. (2015). United States Patent and Trademark Office. Patent No. US-2014-0339015 A1.
- Algargoosh, A., Hossam E. H. & El Wakeel, H. (2015). Saudi Patent Office Patent No. Publication No. 4439.
- 2017 - The Acoustical Society of America: Student Council Travel Award.
- 2017 - Rackham International Students Fellowship for outstanding international students, University of Michigan.
- 2017 - Rackham Conference Travel Grant, University of Michigan.
- 2016 - Rackham Conference Travel Grant, University of Michigan.
- 2015 - Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning Scholarship, University of Michigan.
- 2014 - Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission Scholarship.
- 2013 - Ibtikar international competition for inventions, King Abdulaziz and His Companions Foundation for Giftedness and Creativity.
- 2013 - ArtScience Lab Innovation program in Paris.
- 2013 - Keystone competition, King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture.
- 2012 - University of Dammam Grant for Excellent Master Thesis Research.