Taubman College maintains an environment in which information technology is easily accessible and available to the Taubman College community. We manage several high-end technology enhanced classrooms, digital fabrication labs, statistical analysis lab, various computer clusters with high-end windows workstations, public printers, high-end plotters, scanners, wireless and wired networks, and various state of the art software packages, including Adobe CS4, ArcGIS, SPSS, AutoCAD 2010, and Rhino 4.0. Various IT services are provided to students, staff and faculty. Our goal is to provide a computing environment that supports learning, design, planning, and research at every level.
- Computer recommendations for incoming students
- University of Michigan resources for incoming students
- Computer Showcase
- Computer Security
- Computing Help Desk
- Virtual Sites
- Duderstadt GroundWorks Media Conversion Lab
- Duderstadt UM3D Lab
Students get 400 pages of free printing per semester provided by the university and available either via the web, by using mprint, or directly from college lab computers. When using mprint, look for these printers in the "North Campus" section:
- Art & Architecture 3 East
- Art & Architecture 3 West
- Art & Architecture 3 South Color
- Art & Architecture 1 BTLAB
- Art & Architecture 1 MUPLAB
Public scanner locations
- 3rd floor East Computer Cluster
- 3rd floor West Computer Cluster
There are computer labs and clusters on all three floors of the Art and Architecture Building.
- 3rd Floor East Cluster
- 3rd Floor West Cluster
- SAND-NC, Room 2207
- A&A Campus Computing Site, Room 2109
- Doctoral Computing Lab, 2nd Floor Pack
- M.U.P. Lab, 1st Floor
- BT Lab, 1st Floor
- FAB Lab, 1st Floor
Accessing the Network / Internet
Wired Connection: Register your Personal Computer for Wired Network Access
The wired network is much faster and more capable of handling large data files versus wireless.
Wireless: Start by selecting the "UM Wireless Network" when your computer detects wireless, then bring up a browser, login with your uniqname and password on the authentication page, and download the software for the newer "MWireless". Once installed, MWireless will be more secure, faster, and simpler to use. Be sure to read the installation instructions.
Having a computing problem?
- Keep your software up-to-date by using Windows Update or Apple's Software Update.
- Use anti-virus software. Download for Windows or Mac.
- Turn on your firewall: Windows, Mac.
- Use strong passwords for your accounts. Test their strength.
- Physically, use a security cable. For sale at the UM Computer Showcase.
- Remember, if you have a Mac running Windows, regardless of whether it is in Boot Camp or a Fusion or Parallels environment, it is as though you have a separate Windows computer and you will need to pay attention to the Windows guidelines to secure the Windows installation as well as Mac guidelines.
- See the university's Safe Computing site for detailed, up-to-date, security information.