College Events / Archives
Student Workshop: Scholarly Publication and YOU
Art + Architecture Building
Agora is happy to present a workshop on scholarly writing! Join Professors Scott Campbell and Gavin Shatkin, and PhD student Nathan Podrid at 12pm on Friday, January 28 in AAB 2210 to learn everything you've ever wanted to know about this process. Whether you're looking to submit an article for this year's Agora or another publication, or if you just want help writing more effectively, come by the workshop and enjoy some pizza!
The panel will cover the following topics related to three broad writing steps:
- From the idea to the abstract:
- what does it mean to contribution to the discipline?
- what makes for a good topic?
- how do you properly define the scope?
- what are the hallmarks of well-crafted abstracts and outlines?
- how do you form and execute a research plan?
- what voice is most appropriate for a given topic?
- how much analysis and research is enough?
- how do you make the best use of peers, professors, librarians, and other advisors?
- how do you properly substantiate arguments with cited sources?
- what does a good working relationship between writer and editor look like?
- how should writers and editors give and take constructive criticism?
- what should editors do aside from garden variety proofreading?