↑ top


Transfer of Credit

Credit hours approved for transfer from another program, unit, or institution will appear on the student's transcript and will count toward the B.S. degree. Only credit hours, and not grades or honor points, will be posted to the student's record. Requests for transfer of credit should initially be made to the college registrar. In some cases, approval from the program chair is necessary.

Note: In order for course credits from external (non-UM) institutions to be eligible for transfer to the architecture program, students must achieve a grade of C or better in those courses.


For undergraduate students, credit for academic courses from other units of the university and other institutions is evaluated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. All credit earned in other units of the university, except remedial courses below normal college-level and introductory officer education courses, will transfer.

Credit earned through high school advanced placement exams, conducted nationally by the college Entrance Examination Board, will transfer, provided the scores meet university standards. No credit will be awarded for placement exams offered by other departments of the university or by other institutions. Not more than 7 credit hours of nonacademic or technical courses earned at other institutions may be transferred; such credit is evaluated by the Architecture Program.

High school students who dually enroll for courses at accredited institutions of higher education may receive credit for work taken at these institutions for courses that have been recognized for transfer to the University of Michigan in accordance with the University's transfer credit policy. Acceptance of courses and credits deemed suitable for transfer to the University of Michigan is determined by faculty in the department, school, or college responsible for instruction in the subject area. Among factors influencing the determination of acceptability are accreditation status, comparable academic quality, and the relationship of the course to other course offerings in the primary administrative unit and other academic units at the University of Michigan, and the basis for student performance evaluation in the course.


A student may petition to receive a course waiver in a course he or she has already completed at another accredited university. The student must submit a waiver request form to the faculty member teaching the course in which he or she is seeking the waiver and submit supporting documentation, including but not limited to course syllabus, assignments, projects, papers, and tests to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the subject. The granting of a waiver is at the discretion of the individual faculty member. If a student receives a course waiver, he or she has fulfilled that requirement, but no credit hours will be granted. The student will need to register for another course of equal credits in place of the waived course. It is recommended that students select a replacement course in the same area in which they received the waiver. For example. a student receiving a waiver from a structures course should select a structures elective. For graduate students, the selected replacement course should be 500 level or above. Prior approval from the chair is required for 400 level courses.