The Urban and Regional Planning Program assesses student achievement in terms of student retention and graduation rates, AICP exam pass rates, and graduate employment outcomes, including time to employment and type of employment, all reported here.
In addition, the program assesses student achievement in terms of student academic performance, graduate satisfaction with how well the program prepared students for practice one year, and five years after graduation, along with service to the community and profession following graduation.
Student Academic Performance: While not applying specific benchmarks, we strive to ensure that substantial portions of our students remain in good academic standing, and are not discontinued from the program for academic reasons. Similarly, we strive to ensure that substantial portions of our students earn at least a grade of "B" on their capstone, individual professional project or thesis. Between 2007 and 2017, only one student out of 556 graduates (0.002%) was discontinued from the program for academic reasons. Between 2007 and 2017, only 16 students out of 556 (0.03%) earned a grade of "C+" or lower on a capstone, professional project or thesis.
Selected Recent Student State and National Planning and Academic Achievement Awards: Finally, the program measures student success in terms of the awards and other recognition students received for their work while students. During the past 5 years, University of Michigan Urban and Regional Planning Program students have won the following individual or group project awards:
- Class Project's Real World Impact: Students Return to Brazil to Implement Plan
- “Green The Way” MUP Student Project Wins MAP Planning Excellence Award
- Taubman College Students Recognized in United Nations Design Competition
- Planning Student and Munger Fellow Serratos in Rackham’s Student Spotlight
- Stults publishes climate adaptation research in Nature Climate Change
- Batterman Recognized as Unsung Hero at 2016 Regional Transit Awards
- 2016 MUP Student Awards
- Cooper-McCann Featured in Journal of Planning History
- Masters Students Receive Honorable Mention in ULI Hines Competition
- Mabin Awarded Helene Overly Scholarship
- Urban Planning Capstone Receives Ford Motor Company Challenge Award for Project in Santa Marta, Brazil
- 2015 Capstone Student Team receives Michigan Association of Planning Outstanding Student Project Award
- American Planning Association Student Planning Project Award (2013)
- American Planning Association Student Paper Award (2013)
- American Planning Association Student Planning Project Award (2008)
- Michigan Association of Planning Outstanding Student Planning Project Award (date)
- Michigan Association of Planning Outstanding Student Award (date)
- Five students have received Dow Sustainability Fellowships from the University of Michigan's Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute
- Two students have received US DOT Eisenhower Fellowships
- One student has University of Michigan International Institute Award
- Four students have received Presidential Management Fellowships
- In 2011 and 2012, six students placed in either first or second place in the UM/ULI Hines Real Estate Forum Case Competition
- Four different MUP students received the University of Michigan's North Campus Spirit of Martin Luther King Jr. award.
- Two students earned Fulbright Scholarships