Advisor: Ana Paula Pimental Walker
My experience working as an urban planner on policy issues in India and UK, sparked my interest to understand how institutional and policy mandates cause a wide variation in the impact of planning initiatives. Engaging with multiple levels of government and with functionaries of varying competence and involvement, I rely on my understanding that a variety of implementation issues discussed in the planning rhetoric are in fact based on policies supported by ad-hoc institutional/structural mechanism or vice-versa. This is especially true of integral issues to planning like housing that often tend to have their own parallel implementation mechanism. To test this premise, I would like to understand the varying levels of organisational and policy embedded-ness between planning and the provision of low-income housing. I would like to do this within a comparative framework, drawing relevance in the Indian context.
- Sanga, N. (2012). Credit Guarantee Scheme for pro-poor housing: A review. New Delhi: Support to National Policies for Urban Poverty Reduction Unit
- Sanga, N., & Renukumar, N. (2011). Performance Management Evaluation System in government. Ottawa: Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management.
- Subramanian, K., Sanga, N., & Kar, M. R. (2011). Statues in public spaces. Hyderabad: Centre for Good Governance.
- Sanga, N. (2008). ‘ Impact of urban entrepreneurial development on peri-urban livelihoods, Case of Hyderabad’ (Master’s dissertation)
- 'Urban planning - master plans, building regulations and unauthorised constructions’, Workshop for Andhra Pradesh State Municipal Functionaries, March 2013.
- ‘Urban land management and land for urban poor’, Regional Summit for Urban Planners, Hyderabad 2012
- ‘Social media for capacity building’, Symposium on ICT based training strategy, Pondicherry 2012 (presented by Dr Phani Kumar Gorantla)
- ‘Hyderabad and its Planning problems.’ Gregynogg UK: Development Studies Association, March 2008
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited Scholar for International Studies 2007-2008
- Gold medal for academic excellence: ‘Best outgoing student (2003-07)’, School of Planning and Architecture, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, India
- Raghava Reddy Endowment award and honor medal ‘Best Planning Student’, 2007, for all round performance, School of Planning and Architecture, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, India
- Best Dissertation award for “Strategies for cost and energy management of municipal services”, 2007, School of Planning and Architecture, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, India