Professor Joe Grengs will discuss the history of Planners Network (PN), an association of professionals, activists, academics, and students involved in planning to promote fundamental change in our political and economic systems. PN promotes progressive planning as a tool for allocating resources and developing the environment to eliminate the great inequities of wealth and power in our society, rather than maintaining and justifying the status quo. Our local chapter at the University of Michigan seeks to be an effective political and social force, working with other progressive campus and community organizations in southeast Michigan, to inform public opinion and public policy and to provide assistance to those seeking to understand, control, and change the forces that affect their lives. The session will conclude with a discussion of how students can get involved with the local chapter of PN and beyond.
About the Tuesdays at Taubman Career Talk Series
Tuesdays at Taubman Career Talks are informal brown bag workshops focused on professional development. They are ideal opportunities to network with alumni and other professionals working in the planning field.
- Past Career Talk Speakers and Topics
- Andrea Brown, Executive Director, Michigan Association of Planning
- Heather Seyfarth (MUP ’04), Program Supervisor for Clean Energy Coalition in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Eric Wilson (RE Certificate ’13), Former Planner in Abu Dhabi and New York City
- Paul Fontaine, Urban Designer at Fontaine Urban Design and Taubman Lecturer
- Anna Swanberg, Landscape Architect and Project Manager, LAND studio in Cleveland, Ohio
- Resume Workshop
- Summer Internship Showcase
- Future Topics:
- Working in Detroit
- ULI, AICP, IEDC, APA. What do all these acronyms mean?
- Summer internship showcase
- Making the most out of your Spring Break: Spring Break Mentorship program
- Using LinkedIn and technology to find a job/internship
- Meet alumni who work in various careers in planning and beyond
Want to meet a specific alumni or cover a specific topic? Email Jennifer Olmstead at firstname.lastname@example.org