Opening Event: November 8, 2013
Presentation of Projects, 6:00 pm, A + A Auditorium
Exhibition Opening, 7:30p, Liberty Annex
This grant program and exhibition were generously supported by alumni Alan and Cynthia Reavis Berkshire.
Research on the City is a competitive faculty research grant program, intended to foster interdisciplinary research on urban topics. Today cities and their metropolitan regions face some of the greatest challenges of our time, among others rapid growth or depopulation, environmental challenges and economic instability. In this initial year, the grant proposals were limited to research projects that focus on the city of Detroit.
The 2013 "Research on the City" Faculty Research Grant projects awarded, with affiliated Taubman College and interdisciplinary faculty, are:
- "Great Lakes Cities on the Shore": Maria Arquero, Jen Maigret, Richard Norton and Lorelle A. Meadows
- "Assessment of Community Development Corporations": Harley Etienne and Dale Thomson
- "Detroit Dis(s/c)ensus": McLain Clutter, Matt Kenyon and Andrew Hupp
- "Finance, Risk and the Metropolitan Form: Theory and Evidence from Cities and Suburbs in Michigan": David Bieri, Robert Fishman, Michael Barr, Gerald Davis, and Greta Krippner
- "Learning from Lollapalooza": Thom Moran and Bruce Conforth