- Current UM students: March 1 for fall term; November 1 for winter term. Note that admissions decisions will not be made until final grades from at least one term of study at UM are recorded.
Not ready to apply?
Learn more about this certificate
- Building healthy cities is an interdisciplinary undertaking. Therefore, all masters and doctoral students who are currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at the University of Michigan are eligible to apply for the Rackham Graduate Certificate in Healthy Cities. Students must be in good standing within their home department to apply.
- Note to incoming students: Please wait to submit your application materials until arriving on campus.
Students interested in participating are required to submit the following application materials. Certificate application materials are reviewed twice annually. Deadlines are March 1 and November 1.
Students interested in applying for the certificate program should submit the following three application materials via email:
- One of two Rackham applications:
- Students currently in any UM Rackham program: Submit via email the Rackham Add a Degree or Certificate Program Application signed by the chair of the applicant's current program. Note: The program will need to receive the applicant’s current UM transcript from the student's home department, as well as the original letters of recommendation submitted as part of the student’s original application to UM. Please have the graduate coordinator send a copy of the completed application and those additional materials via email to: email@example.com.
- Students currently in any non-Rackham UM graduate program must submit a Rackham Online Application form via the Rackham online application website. Students are responsible for submitting material per Rackham’s rules, which may include a non-refundable application fee, official transcripts, two letters of recommendation (students have permission to use the same letters submitted as part of the student’s original application to UM), and TOEFL (International students only). See the online application for details. Please have the graduate coordinator send a copy of the completed application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One-page letter of intent (for both Rackham and non-Rackham students), including:
- A statement of the student’s intent to complete the certificate program
- A brief explanation of the student’s goals in participating in the certificate program
- A brief explanation of how the certificate program contributes to the student’s post-graduation goals
- Letters of intent should be submitted via email to the attention of the Graduate Certificate in Healthy Cities, email@example.com.
- One-page curriculum outline (for both Rackham and non-Rackham students), including:
- Identification of a proposed focus area
- A proposed list and schedule of coursework (see the Healthy Cities Certificate Requirements Checklist for more information)
- Identification of any courses expected to be double-counted with other degree requirements
- Curriculum outlines should be submitted via email to the attention of the Graduate Certificate in Healthy Cities, firstname.lastname@example.org.