↑ top

Bachelor of Science (B.S.)

Undergraduate Architecture Incoming Merit-Based Scholarships

All undergraduate architecture applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships. Applicants are notified of a scholarship award as part of the admissions process. Because financial resources are limited, applicants are encouraged to seek out other sources of funding as well.

Federal Financial Aid Awards (FAFSA)

The University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid administers federal loan and work-study programs for students. You must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-U.S. citizen (permanent resident with alien registration card). You do not need to be admitted to the University before submitting the FAFSA.

To apply for federal financial aid, complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) between October 1 and March 31. Using U-M’s federal code 002325. Although you may submit the FAFSA later, early application is strongly advised and ensures you will be considered for all aid for which you are eligible. You will be considered for Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, Perkins Loan, and Federal Direct Loans as well as the Michigan Competitive Scholarship, Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver, and Work-Study awards, as well as need-based grants from the college.

Approximately four need-based scholarships are awarded to undergraduate students every year. The awards are made possible through the generous donations of alumni and friends of Taubman College.


Q -Am I eligible for Federal Financial Aid?

A: If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you should complete the FAFSA. This process determines your eligibility for federal loans and work-study, as well as need-based grants from the college.  

Q - Does Taubman College review my FAFSA?
No- all FAFSA materials are submitted and reviewed at the U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA). OFA creates your U-M financial aid package and posts your aid on your student account as seen through Wolverine Access. 

Q -Is there funding available from Taubman College?
Incoming students are eligible for Taubman College merit-based scholarship awards; your application to the school is the application for these awards. Merit-based scholarship decisions are made by the program chair based on recommendations from the admissions committee; admitted applicants are notified of their merit awards in their Taubman College admission letter. 

Students may also be eligible for need-based grants from the college. Eligibility is determined by the Office of Financial Aid and requires the completion of a FAFSA. Notification of any need-based Taubman award will appear in your Wolverine Access financial aid award notice from the Office of Financial Aid, separate from your admission letter that will detail any merit-based awards. The Office of Financial Aid’s phone number is 734-763-6600. 

Q - Will my financial aid package be affected if I’m registered less than full-time status when the tuition bill is due?
The Office of Financial Aid packages all incoming graduate students financial aid assuming one will be a full-time student. The Registrar’s Office/ Student Financial Services office sets the part or full-time student status and tuition due dates. 

Q - Is there funding for Taubman College student groups?
Campus Involvement provides a list of a variety of offices and departments on campus that are willing to help fund student organization-sponsored events. Registered UM Taubman College student groups have funds available, thanks to our generous alumni donors! 

Other Useful Links:


Federal regulations and U-M policy limit the types of financial assistance available to international students. International students are not eligible for U.S. need-based federal financial aid. Taubman College has limited funding opportunities for international students. Your application to our school also serves as your application for our departmental awards. These are competitive, merit-based awards.  In addition, some donor awards have specific applicant criteria. Applicants are notified of these awards in the letter of admission.

Additional funding resources for international students:


Taubman College offers students a number of exciting opportunities to travel both within the United States and abroad. Through our many degrees and courses students can study culture and design while learning about the various parts of a city, country or region. Taubman College students are awarded funding for Spring Travel courses. Typically, $1,000 is available for domestic travel courses and $1,500 is available for international travel courses.


Scholarship search engines are robust and offer you many ways to search for scholarships tailored to your individual situation. Below are some of the more popular free search tools. We do not recommend companies that offer scholarship services for a fee.

Plan Your Future
Housing, Community, and Economic Development
Land Use and Environmental Planning
Physical Planning and Design
Transportation Planning
Global and Comparative Planning