↑ top

Ph.D. in Architecture

Ph.D. in Architecture is committed to funding each admitted student for four years of the expected time to complete the degree, including an annual stipend, full tuition, and health care during the academic year (Sept–April). Additional years of funding may be available through graduate student instructorships, research assistantships, and other sources. We do encourage students to apply for funding from independent sources.

Student Expenses

The Office of Financial Aid establishes standard student budgets each year as a basis for awarding financial aid funds. These budgets reflect typical "modest but adequate" expense patterns of University of Michigan students based on research conducted by the Office of Financial Aid. While actual expenses will vary based on your lifestyle and level of enrollment, the estimated costs listed below should assist you in planning your own budget.

To see current tuition, living expenses, and other fees, please visit our tuition page.

Research Funding

A limited amount of funding is available to students for research-related expenses in connection with his/her dissertation or thesis work. Students should submit a request for a Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant. These grants are designed to support Rackham graduate students who need assistance to carry out research that advances their progress toward their degree. A master's student is eligible for one Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant during his/her graduate program. A doctoral student is eligible for two Rackham Graduate Student Research Grants during his/her graduate program, one before candidacy and one as a candidate. Students who receive a master's award will not be eligible as a pre-candidate.

To request additional research support for Ph.D. in Architecture, students should submit a research proposal of 1500 words, a detailed budget, and a letter from his/her advisor supporting the need for such funding.


Conference Presentations

The program encourages the development and presentation of papers at conferences and professional meetings when those papers relate to a student's academic program.

Students are eligible for support for one national or international conference per academic year. If a student has had a paper or poster accepted, he/she should submit prior to the conference date a request for a Rackham Conference Travel Grant. These grants are intended to assist doctoral students to participate in and attend conferences and professional meetings.

If a student has had a paper or poster accepted for any additional conferences during that academic year or has been invited to serve on panel, he/she should submit prior to the conference date a request to Ph.D. in Architecture. That request should include a copy of the acceptance to participate at the conference, a detailed budget, and a letter from his/her advisor commenting on how the conference participation is relevant to the student's research or graduate studies.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Graduate Student Instructorship Positions (GSI)

Doctoral students in are eligible for Graduate Student Instructorships (GSI), and typically hold those within the Architecture Program. The number of positions that is available depends on the program's teaching needs for the particular semester. Students apply for GSI positions each term, indicating their course preferences. Assignments are negotiated by the Architecture chair, the Ph.D. in Architecture coordinator, and the individual teaching faculty who require a position.

Prior to serving as Graduate Student Instructors, students whose undergraduate education was at an institution where the language of instruction was not English are required to pass the Graduate Student Instructor Oral English Test, administered by the English Language Institute. The test assesses competence and effectiveness in the type of communication typically used by GSIs at the University of Michigan. A student who does not demonstrate the necessary proficiency may be encouraged or required to take courses offered by ELI in order to pass the GSI-OET at the level required to serve as a GSI.

Graduate Student Research Assistant Positions (GSRA) and Other Research Positions

Students within the program are eligible for Graduate Student Research Assistant (GSRA) positions as well as hourly research positions, and typically hold those within Taubman College. The number that is available varies depending on the amount of sponsored research that is currently in progress. Assignments are negotiated by the Architecture chair, Ph.D. in Architecture coordinator, and the faculty director of the research project.

Project directors seeking GSRAs recommend students to the Architecture chair and the Ph.D. in Architecture coordinator. Generally, they recommend those who they feel have an appropriate background for the project and will contribute the most towards its successful completion.

GSI and GSRA positions include a tuition waiver, stipend, and health benefits. They typically require a 12-14 hour work week. Students in the positions are expected to perform teaching or research duties as directed by their faculty supervisors. At the end of each semester performance evaluations are requested from their faculty supervisors and used by the Architecture chair and Ph.D. in Architecture coordinator in reappointment decisions and in the program's annual review of active and continuing students.

New appointments and reappointments of GSI or GSRA positions for the next semester are negotiated by the Architecture chair, the Ph.D. in Architecture coordinator, and the individual faculty members or project directors. Reappointment is contingent upon the evidence of the student's satisfactory performance as well as the Architecture Program's teaching needs and the availability of research positions. Reappointment is also contingent upon the financial package of each student. As a general rule, GSI/GSRA positions are limited to the number of terms specified in that package. Any exceptions must be in the best interests of the student's academic progress and must be agreed upon by the Architecture chair and the student's faculty advisor.

Other Funding Resources

Postdoctoral Fellowship Opportunities 

Plan Your Future
Housing, Community, and Economic Development
Land Use and Environmental Planning
Physical Planning and Design
Transportation Planning
Global and Comparative Planning