A team of Taubman College faculty and alumni selected winners from the 2021-2022 Architecture Student Show. Faculty select projects that represent the best work by undergraduate, graduate, and post-professional architecture students from the fall and winter 2021 semesters. This year, the show entries were reviewed by teams of faculty and alumni in three groups. Each team awarded a total of $1,500 to the winning student projects, which were announced at an April 15 awards ceremony.
UG1, UG2, and UG3
Reviewers: Cyrus Peñarroyo, Taubman College; Sam Xu, M.Arch ‘14, Lake|Flato
- UG1 Winner: Yicong Chandler Shan, "Urban Stereotomy.” Awarded $500
- UG2 Winner: Dominica Kusmierczyk, "Delineated Playscape." Awarded $500
- UG3 Winner: Muzi Li, "Floating Landscape." Awarded $500
Form, Situations, and Institutions
Reviewers: Claudia Wigger, Taubman College; Danielle Tellez, M.Arch ‘15, SHoP
- Form Winner: Sophie Pacelko, “Planar Play.” Awarded $350
- Situations Winner: Aric Reed, “Lot 9.” Awarded $350
- Institutions Winner: “Radical Social Infrastructure Library.” Awarded $500
- Institutions 2nd Prize: Chendai Yang, “Becoming Public.” Awarded $300
- Honorable Mention: Xin Li, “The Polyphonic Field of Babel.”
Propositions, Systems, M.U.D., and M.S.D.M.T.
Reviewers: Dawn Gilpin, Taubman College; Omar Ali, M.Arch ‘15, Tulane University
- First Prize: Marco Nieto and Kady Kramer, “Extractive Exchange.” Awarded $1,000
- Honorable Mention: Mackenzie Bruce, Gabrielle Clune, and Ruxin Xie, “Cocoon: 3D Printed Clay Formwork for Concrete Casting.” Awarded $250.
- Honorable Mention: Noelle Ridley, Sang Won Jee, and Kael Finehout, “Corktown Connections.” Awarded $250
- Honorable Mention: Jiawei Ding, Jason Tran, and Quan Li, “Eclectic Assemblage.” Awarded $250
Taubman College announced the winners of the Leonard B. Willeke Design Prize on the same day. The prize, judged by the Taubman College Alumni Council, is one of the most prestigious at the college; it recognizes design excellence and innovation through an annual portfolio competition.
Undergraduate Willeke Prize Winners
- Evan Hotary, Awarded $6,250
- Dominica Kusmierczyk, Awarded $6,250
Graduate Willeke Prize Winners
- Victoria Wong, Awarded $5,000
- Autumn Bender, Awarded $5,000
- Auston Vogelsang, Awarded $2,500
Thank you to all of the judges, and congratulations to all of the winners and participants.