4+2 Global Degree Pathway Program
Midnight (11:59 PM ET) February 1 annually for the fall term of the same year
Thank you for your interest in the 4+2 Shanghai Jiao Tong University Design School + University of Michigan Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning opportunity!
Admission to this 4+2 program has multiple steps. Please carefully read all steps below before starting Step 1.
Complete the Non-Degree Admissions Application
Complete the Non-Degree Admissions Application (fillable PDF) by the deadline.
Submit that completed application, along with:
- Transcripts (for all colleges/universities attended)
- TOEFL or IELTS Score
- Financial Resources Statement (see below)
- Statement of Purpose
Use this subject line: “AMDP UM Taubman-SJTU Fall [YEAR]”
YEAR = The year you plan to start at U-M (i.e. 2024)
(all of those documents need to be received by the deadline, preferably sent as a single PDF)
Request that your College Registrar at your home/most recent institution complete Part II (page 7). Your Registrar will submit this document directly by:
Applicants who are F-1 or J-1 visa holders must submit an official transcript in addition to Part II of the Non-Degree application.
Financial Resources Statement
In addition, a completed Financial Resources Statement and supporting documentation are required. Students already in the U.S. on F-1 or J-1 status must also submit a photocopy of the current I-20 or DS-2019 and I-94 card.
A good curriculum vitae or resume will give us another view of who you are and elaborate on your strengths and skills outside of the classroom, showcasing your accomplishments. In addition to your educational experience, student resumes should contain professional experiences, other jobs you have held, a list of groups or organizations that you are involved in, programming languages or other computer skills you have and any community involvement or volunteer work that you do. Think of your resume as another opportunity to tell us about yourself.
Statement of Purpose
Please write a concise statement outlining your reasons for applying to Taubman College’s Master of Architecture degree. Your ideas should be clear, well stated, and specific. The following questions serve only as a guide. The essay should be 500-1000 words and clearly communicate to the admissions committee:
- Why you want to study architecture.
- Your career objectives and long-term goals.
- What you want to learn/gain from the degree.
- How the degree supports your career objectives.
- What led you to apply to Taubman College.
- Specific area of emphasis/specialization that you are interested in.
- Previous professional experiences that have had a profound effect.
- Your current strengths and weaknesses in reaching your goals.
English Language Proficiency Scores
Minimum requirement for SJTU 4+2 applicants only: 84 iBT or 250 computer-based (TOEFL), or 6.5 (IELTS).
Students who are non-native speakers of English are required to provide proof of English language proficiency by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System test (IELTS).
Scores should be submitted directly from the testing agency to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com. Please include a photocopy of your score report or the date on which you plan to take the TOEFL or IELTS.
SUBMIT YOUR PORTFOLIO
Your portfolio is also due by the application deadline.
The portfolio is required and submitted through Slideroom. There is a $6 fee to submit your portfolio. Please select the UM-SJTU 4+2 Global Degree Pathway Program from the available programs. For technical assistance with SlideRoom, visit support.slideroom.com.
Master of Architecture applicants are required to submit examples of their academic work and, if possible, their professional work via a portfolio.
- The first page of your portfolio must be a cover page and include the following:
- Your last name, first name
- 4+2 Program Applicant
- email address
- The portfolio must be formatted together in one Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF).
- There are no specified page dimensions or formats, but please note that portfolios will be reviewed electronically on a variety of screens and devices. Please ensure that all text and images will be legible in a variety of contexts. Portfolios may be no longer than 30 pages total and no larger than 20 MB. Portfolios that exceed these sizes may not be reviewed. Your portfolio will not be reviewed if you upload individual pages. Application processing time may increase if your file is incorrectly titled or if a cover page is not included.
Please remember, the admissions committee will only review electronic submissions and will not accept:
- hard copy original work or portfolios
- actual physical models or other three-dimensional objects (photographs of 3-D work are acceptable)
- folded materials/blueprints
- Powerpoint or Word files
- electronic media (CDs, DVDs, disks) other than those submitted as a PDF
Upload 4+2 Program Portfolio
(File Name Format: LastName_FirstName_4+2 Program Portfolio)
RECOMMENDERS SUBMIT RECOMMENDATION LETTERS
Three (3) letters of recommendation are required and should testify to your academic and professional capacity and promise. If possible, two of these should come from former professors.
Recommendation letters need to reference “SJTU 4+2 Program” and the student’s name in the letter and in the email subject line.
Your three recommenders need to send their letters of support to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
ABOUT THE APPLICATION EVALUATION & SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants to the 4+2 Global Degree Pathway Program should be in the 4th year of study at Shanghai Jiao Tong University Design School (SJTU-DS) working toward their undergraduate degree in architecture.
Applications will not be evaluated until all credentials have been received and the application fee has been paid. Applications missing credentials cannot be guaranteed a review by the admissions committee. Eligible applicants are considered for admission on the basis of the following criteria:
- Quality and content of all previous academic education
- Evidence of professional commitment and direction, including a statement of purpose, resume, letters of recommendation, portfolio, etc.
- TOEFL test scores (if applicable)
- The number of openings available
- The suitability of the program to the applicant’s area of interest
CONFIRMING YOUR ADMISSION
To be completed after a student successfully completes Year 1 of coursework at Taubman College.
Admission after Steps 1-3 is contingent upon:
- Earning at least a 3.0 GPA in all coursework during the fifth year
- Submission of a final transcript to Taubman College showing all completed coursework during the fifth year
- Proof of earning a bachelor’s degree from SJTU, as indicated on a college transcript
Submit a new Financial Certification. New form and instructions will be provided to you by the Taubman Office of Admissions at the end of the first semester at Taubman College.
The final SJTU transcript must be received by Taubman College within 60 days of the last day of the second semester at Taubman College. This is necessary for the issuance of a new I-20 based on degree admission.
Students issued a one-year visa for non-degree admission at Taubman College will be required to return to their home country for a new visa interview and a new I-20.