Bachelor of Science in Architecture (First-Year)
Early Action Deadline for Dual-Degree Applicants:
Regular Decision Deadline:
Enrollment Deposit Deadline:
High school seniors have five options when they are ready to apply to Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning. Watch the overview and use the tools and information below for more information about applying.
Not sure how to apply?
Take this short interactive quiz to learn more.
/ Begin Your Application
Because Freshman Admission to Taubman College is highly competitive, we encourage all high school seniors to apply Dual Degree to Taubman College and one of the following schools: College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA), College of Engineering, or Stamps School of Art & Design.
General Application Instructions
All first-year applicants submit their applications using the Common Application.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions processes all undergraduate applications and can answer all inquiries about application requirements and submission. You can use the “Ask Blue” Admissions Chatbot for questions you have.
Dual Degree Application Instructions
How to apply Dual Degree on the Common Application:
- In the “General” section of the University of Michigan Common App: select “Early Action” as your “Preferred Admission Plan”
- In the “Academics” section: select “Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning Dual Applicant”
- Select your second program choice (LS&A, Art & Design, Engineering) in the “Dual Program” section*
- Submit your Common Application by November 1
- Submit your Portfolio by February 1
Students who apply Dual Degree by November 1 will receive a decision (Admit or Defer) from their second unit (LS&A, Engineering, and/or Stamps) by the end of January. These students will still have until February 1 to submit their Portfolio. They should expect a final decision from Taubman College by the end of March.
/ Submit Your Portfolio
There is a $6 fee to submit your portfolio. Students who receive an application fee waiver will also receive a SlideRoom fee waiver. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us of your application fee waiver.
Required Cover Page
- Your last name, first name
- Street address, city, state, postal code, country
- Email address
- Telephone number
Document and File Information
- One Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) file
- 20 MB maximum
- Not to exceed 8 ½”x 11” (portrait or landscape)
- 8-10 pages, in addition to one cover page
Each project or piece of work should be labeled neatly with the following information:
- Title of the work
- The year it was produced
- Whether the work was undertaken independently or as part of a group effort (for group projects, the label should indicate the type and extent of the applicant’s personal involvement)
- The context in which it was produced (a class, in an office, independent work, etc.)
Generative AI is emerging as a tool in the design process. Work produced using generative AI is permitted to be included in the portfolio only if images are clearly labeled and identified.
Any work not fully authored by the applicant that is not clearly identified will not be eligible for review consideration by the admissions committee.
Suitable Work for Portfolio Inclusion
Portfolio content may include, but is not limited to:
- Architectural design or building
- Costume design
- Digital media
- Fashion design
- Freehand Drawing
- Graphic design
- Industrial design
- Interior design
- Mechanical Drawing
- Other crafts
- Stage design
- Two- and three-dimensional pieces
/ Application Status and Evaluation
Enrollment Connect is a U-M website for all application needs: track your checklist and application status, receive important messages from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, view application decision, and more. To log in, use the login credentials from the email sent from Michigan.Admissions@umich.edu verifying your application submission has been successful. If you have not received your login credentials, please visit Verification Email Not Received.
Visit the Undergraduate Admissions website to learn more about the application process.