↑ top

External Transfers

Taubman College welcomes transfer students from community colleges and four-year colleges and universities.

Important Dates:

Application Deadline: February 1
Portfolio Deadline: March 1
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Application Deadline*: April 30 
Enrollment Deposit Deadline: May 1

Summer Intensive Transfer Studio begins (Arch 302): June 28, 2023
Note: New transfer students only

Step 1

Review our course requirements (49 required credits in very specific subjects). (You may need to click this link twice.)

Step 2

Explore our 70 Transfer Guides. (You may need to click this link twice.)

Step 3

See how your courses transfer to Taubman College/U-M.

Step 4

Meet with our Undergraduate Recruiting and Admissions Coordinator for a virtual session to stay on track. Email us at taubmancollegeadmissions@umich.edu to request an appointment.

Step 5

Track your progress using our Transfer Student Worksheet.

Transfer Admission:  Summer Term Only Start

Students applying to transfer from an accredited community college, college, or university other than U-M are required to complete a minimum of 49 transferrable credit hours, up to a maximum of 70 transferrable credit hours of prerequisite courses at their college/university, including the required prerequisites outlined below.

*Transfer students who seek financial aid (grants, loans, work-study) during the summer term are required to fill out the previous year's FAFSA since that term is the end of that aid year. Then, for their first fall/winter semesters, the current FAFSA is required so transfer students need to complete two FAFSAs.

Summer Term Intensive Studio

If accepted into the Bachelor of Science in Architecture program, external transfer students will begin their curriculum at Taubman College during the summer term with a 6-credit intensive studio (ARCH 302) to help them acclimate to the studio at Taubman College.

Meet with Us

Prospective transfer students are highly encouraged to meet with a Taubman College Admissions Officer to ensure they are completing the necessary coursework. Please contact TaubmanCollegeAdmissions@umich.edu.

See How Your Credits Transfer

Use the U-M Transfer Equivalency Search to see how your courses transfer to the University of Michigan and Taubman College. Students must earn a C or better in all coursework taken outside the University of Michigan in order for credit to transfer.

Required Prerequisite Courses

The following courses are required for transfer admission into the Bachelor of Science program and should be completed before external transfer students begin at Taubman junior year. Please use the course guides below and/or the U-M Transfer Equivalency Search to determine whether the course(s) you are taking are transferrable. Use this worksheet to keep track of prerequisite courses.

Course Credits
1 First Year Writing Requirement equivalent 3-4
1 Calculus course 4
2 Physics courses with labs 8
2 introductory studio drawing/art courses 6-8
2 Humanities Courses 6
1 Natural Science Course 3
2 Social Science Courses 6
Transferable Electives 9-24

Technical Credits

A maximum of seven technical credits are transferable (e.g., digital media, drafting, CAD, construction, HVAC, architecture technology, welding, technical writing, architectonics, building technology, codes, cost estimation, automotive repair, etc.).


If you are considering a transfer to Taubman College, we highly encourage you to contact a Taubman College Admissions Officer to have an estimate of transfer credit completed.

Please see the transfer guides below. If the school that you are attending is not listed, please contact a Taubman College Admissions Officer and a guide can be created. Please note that it may take some time for a guide to be created, depending on the time of year the request is made. 

Sample Schedule

External Transfer Curriculum (PDF)


Contact Admissions at TaubmanCollegeAdmissions@umich.edu

Plan Your Future
Housing, Community, and Economic Development
Land Use and Environmental Planning
Physical Planning and Design
Transportation Planning
Global and Comparative Planning